Admission Arrangements

The admissions policy of this school complies with current policy in West Sussex. Admission to the school is co-ordinated by the Pupil Admission Team based in Horsham. 


Before you apply

The West Sussex County Council website contains detailed information about the application and allocation process. 

Go to

 Parents are strongly advised to consult the website before making their application.

 You can find out about a school by:

·         visiting schools - most have open days you can attend or organise individual visits

·         reading the school's Ofsted reports

·         checking school league tables - these include exam results.


It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.


Find your catchment area school

To find out which school is your catchment school you can use the tool on the West Sussex website.  If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the 3 preferences on your application.

Apply for a place

Important things to remember when applying

·         You can apply for up to three different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.

·         We advise you use all three preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.

·         If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools. 

·         If you are moving house during the application process go to the West Sussex website for advice.

Unable to apply online?

If you do not have access to the internet please contact the school office.,

If you choose to apply by post it is your responsibility to make sure it is submitted before the application deadline.  Forms need to be sent by recorded delivery.  The Admissions Office are not responsible for forms lost in the post and no missing forms can be investigated without evidence. The Admissions Office will not acknowledge that we have received your form.

What happens next

If WSCC cannot offer your child a place at any of your preferred schools, they will offer a place at your catchment school, if available. 

Or, if your catchment school is full, you will be offered a place at a school nearest to your home with an available place. For this reason you are advised to  include your child’s catchment school as one of your three preferences.

You have the right to appeal against a decision not to offer your child a place at your preferred school and to place them on a waiting list. The process is explained on the West Sussex website.

Please keep the Pupil Admissions Office advised of any changes to your child’s circumstances (change of name, address, school etc.) to assist in the forward planning of school provision for West Sussex. Further details can be found on the West Sussex County Council website.

The Pupil Admission Team is based at:

Pupil Admissions Office,

County Hall North, Chartway, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XH

Telephone: 03330 142903         Email:



If you live outside West Sussex and wish to apply for a place, you must apply through your home LA. 


Applying for a place outside this time scale

If you move into a catchment area outside this time scale there is no guarantee that a place will be available at the local school. You are advised to contact the Admissions Office at West Sussex directly to discuss the availability of places. You will be asked to supply proof of your child’s age and proof of your new address.  When you are offered a place you will be expected to take up the space within approximately 10 school days. 


SEND School Places

Most children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities attend a mainstream school or college.

We try to arrange special educational needs placements earlier in the year than other pupils, so that we can take account of specific needs and the preferred choice of school or college.

If an EHC Plan or Statement of SEN is held

You should have already been contacted by our Special Educational Needs Assessment Team(SENAT), who are responsible for making placements.

If you already have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN), you can express your preference for the school or college to attend by contacting SENAT.

If an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment has begun, you should applyonline with your mainstream school or college preference.

By week 16 of the assessment process, we will decide whether an EHC Plan will be made.

If a draft EHC Plan is issued, the Special Educational Needs Assessment Team willliaise with you about your preferences. You can then ask them to consider a place at a special school or a special support centre.


Transport matters for children attending this school are dealt with by the Transport Co-ordination Group based in County Hall, Chichester, PO19 1RF. They can be contacted on 01243 753530 or 

Details of the transport provision can be found on the West Sussex County Council website. 


Transfer to Junior School 

In your child’s final year at Fairway Infant School (Year 2) you will automatically be sent details of how to apply for a place at Junior School.  This will be sent out via the school.    Online applications can be made from October in the year your child is in Year 2 for entry to Junior school (Year 3).

For the purposes of Admissions Fairway and Copthorne Junior Schools are “linked schools”.  This means that pupils in Year 2 at Fairway should  be offered at place for Year 3 at Copthorne CE Junior School, although this will depend on the number of other applications considered against the school’s admissions criteria.

Parents and carers are responsible for making sure they apply for a place at Junior school and meet the deadlines set by their Local Authority.